Welcome Anonymous, It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:39 pm
Press Start DVD

Jumanji

Got a request for the Nostalgia Critic? Post it here!
Forum rules
If a movie or show has a topic already.. DO NOT make a new topic, just post in the one that is already established! Do not make more than one request in a post!

Re: Jumanji

Postby SimonW » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:33 pm

kluesner wrote:Listen Doug can you hear it? The drums, the never ending drum of jumanji.

I think it shall only stop when NC kills himself...again.

Anyway, yes, those freaky drumbeats. Those were cool yet mysterious. Who the fuck was playing those drums in the game board anyway?
SimonW

Postby djbj » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:06 pm

I agree with a lot of the other posters that while this is not a bad movie it has enough flaws and weirdness in it that it would make a good NC review. My main problem with the movie is that some of the creatures that appear, like the giant spiders, are a little too scary for kids. I saw this was about 9 and while I wasn't exactly scared, I was kinda freaked out and very much weirded out by it. Since it has spiders, maybe Dr. Smith could appear in the review.
djbj

Postby browned79 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:11 pm

This film is actually darn fun to watch -- then and now. My major substantive beef with the film is that the music and sound effects seemed a bit too [obviously] recycled. Now, the un-official sequel is really, really bad. It features a new space age board game and a lot less of the fun of the original. That one might be too new to review, but it was really, really bad.
browned79

Postby salguod » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:04 pm

djbj wrote:I agree with a lot of the other posters that while this is not a bad movie it has enough flaws and weirdness in it that it would make a good NC review. My main problem with the movie is that some of the creatures that appear, like the giant spiders, are a little too scary for kids. I saw this was about 9 and while I wasn't exactly scared, I was kinda freaked out and very much weirded out by it. Since it has spiders, maybe Dr. Smith could appear in the review.

I second that emotion. I love JUMANJI and I'd love to see another review where Dr. Smith shows up.
salguod

Postby ladydiskette » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:12 pm

I loved this movie....a near apopcalyptic world caused by animals? AWESOME-SAUCE! :mrgreen: :D I loved this movie as a kid and I still enjoy it now, althought I am still trying to figure out the ending where Robin Williams and Bonnie Hunt turn into kids again with memories of what happened, and then prevent the death of the parents of those two kids from getting killed in that car accident.
"Don't make Snowflame love and tolerate the crap out of you!"

Check out my blog for book reviews and other literary-related articles on Children Storybook Corner Also please feel free to read and comment. Thank you.
ladydiskette

Postby BlueStarReturns » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:33 pm

ladydiskette wrote:although I am still trying to figure out the ending where Robin Williams and Bonnie Hunt turn into kids again with memories of what happened, and then prevent the death of the parents of those two kids from getting killed in that car accident.

In addition to that, a big debate that I found while doing research for reviews (my friend and I have a "Jumanji Month" thing planned, as well as other movies/films, when we get our show up and running, but that's beside the point :D ) is why do Alan and Sarah remember everything, but not Peter and Judy?

There's endless discussions with that point alone. Those who support that they remember do so because of Judy's smile potentially showing more than just excitement from receiving a Christmas present. Those who support that they don't remember do so because they think Peter and Judy were a result of Alan and Sarah not finishing the game when they first began playing (an "alternate" timeline, if you will). If that's the case, though, why were they born again in the "real" timeline?

So much discussion makes my head hurt, and probably yours, too, so I will stop. But, if Doug did this as a review, that is a definite point that I would like to see him go over.
Monkeys comment-vote because they can only push buttons and go with the crowd. People comment-vote and then explain why they agree or disagree. So, what are you? A monkey... or a person?!

Being a fan of James AND Doug = Flames on both sides
BlueStarReturns

Postby Movie-Brat » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:37 pm

That is indeed confusing. I don't think I could figure that out.
Last Movies I've Watched: CQ, The World Is Not Enough, Dumb and Dumber, A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984), Godzilla (1954)

Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears. I have not come to bury Godzilla, I have come to praise him.
Movie-Brat

Postby ladydiskette » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:51 pm

BlueStarReturns wrote:
ladydiskette wrote:although I am still trying to figure out the ending where Robin Williams and Bonnie Hunt turn into kids again with memories of what happened, and then prevent the death of the parents of those two kids from getting killed in that car accident.

In addition to that, a big debate that I found while doing research for reviews (my friend and I have a "Jumanji Month" thing planned, as well as other movies/films, when we get our show up and running, but that's beside the point :D ) is why do Alan and Sarah remember everything, but not Peter and Judy?

There's endless discussions with that point alone. Those who support that they remember do so because of Judy's smile potentially showing more than just excitement from receiving a Christmas present. Those who support that they don't remember do so because they think Peter and Judy were a result of Alan and Sarah not finishing the game when they first began playing (an "alternate" timeline, if you will). If that's the case, though, why were they born again in the "real" timeline?

So much discussion makes my head hurt, and probably yours, too, so I will stop. But, if Doug did this as a review, that is a definite point that I would like to see him go over.

Yeah....but not only that, they showed them married and having a child on the way. But to the movie's credit they do try to downplay the mindfuck meter by having them just introduce each other the typical host and hostess fashion to Peter and Judy's parents at a Christmas Party they are throwing, at least it doesn't make the rest of the ending too far-fetched.

Still, as wierd as that was you have to admit for a Family Movie aimed at kids that was one hell of a ending that actually made you think as oppose to just leaving you going "Awww, everyone lived happily ever after." like most Family Kid movies do.
"Don't make Snowflame love and tolerate the crap out of you!"

Check out my blog for book reviews and other literary-related articles on Children Storybook Corner Also please feel free to read and comment. Thank you.
ladydiskette

Postby djbj » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:25 pm

BlueStarReturns wrote:

I didn't really find the ending to be confusing. The answer to this question seems relatively simple: Peter and Judy weren't born yet, so they couldn't possibly retain the memories. You can't keep memories if you don't exist yet. Though this discussion has gotten me to question the logic of this movie. When I saw it as a kid I took it all at face value and didn't question anything but now I see it differently. It is like a long-delayed case of fridge logic (bonus points to anyone who knows what I'm talking about).
djbj

Postby SimonW » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:38 am

djbj wrote:
BlueStarReturns wrote:

I didn't really find the ending to be confusing. The answer to this question seems relatively simple: Peter and Judy weren't born yet, so they couldn't possibly retain the memories. You can't keep memories if you don't exist yet. Though this discussion has gotten me to question the logic of this movie. When I saw it as a kid I took it all at face value and didn't question anything but now I see it differently. It is like a long-delayed case of fridge logic (bonus points to anyone who knows what I'm talking about).

I want to say it in laymen terms.

The compact version is they (Peter and Judy) don't remember a thing. They are no connection (though possibly VERY distant relatives) to Alan's timeline. Nor Sarah's, in that regard.

Okay, less compacted version, if you want to broaden your thinking is, they are on a timeline of their own. Not much changed in Alan's time period that would effect their time period in "present day" (or ALTERNATE PRESENT DAY). So, people are stupid to overthink or complicate things. And in that regard...YOU ARE ALL CRAZY! IT IS ONLY A MOVIE!!! :D
SimonW

Postby ckyfan55 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:11 pm

could make a good review
"No time for the ol' in-out, love. I've just come to read the meter!"
ckyfan55

Postby dagan » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:24 am

SimonW wrote:
I want to say it in laymen terms.

The compact version is they (Peter and Judy) don't remember a thing. They are no connection (though possibly VERY distant relatives) to Alan's timeline. Nor Sarah's, in that regard.

Okay, less compacted version, if you want to broaden your thinking is, they are on a timeline of their own. Not much changed in Alan's time period that would effect their time period in "present day" (or ALTERNATE PRESENT DAY). So, people are stupid to overthink or complicate things. And in that regard...YOU ARE ALL CRAZY! IT IS ONLY A MOVIE!!! :D

Dagan: Whoa, Doc, that's heavy.

SimonW: Weight has nothing to do with it!
So long, and thanks for all the fish.
dagan

Postby Isaac232 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:38 pm

BlueStarReturns wrote:

I would think the kids weren't born when Alan and Sarah started playing. Though ignoring them for a moment, consider that the game started with just Alan and Sarah. From their starting point, once they finish then everything that happens with the game would reset to the moment after they started playing. Since they were the ones to begin it, they would be the reset point once the game ended. While the kids join up years later, they were just part of a game in progress. Once the current game ended, everything goes back to normal as if the game hadn't started, even for players who joined later would go back to normal. Then for Alan and Sarah, they would keep the memories since they started it, it comes back to them. It's a weird ending anyway but if anything, it probably was better than having a "it was all a dream" excuse.
Isaac232

Postby Critic and nerd spy » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:49 pm

HEY BRANIAC, I ALREADY REQUESTED THIS MOVIE FIRST
Critic and nerd spy

Postby Squeezebox » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:56 pm

Critic and nerd spy wrote:HEY BRANIAC, I ALREADY REQUESTED THIS MOVIE FIRST

Thread started: January 2009

It's a funny hat.
Squeezebox

Postby browned79 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:41 pm

It might have come down to a simple issue of having to end the film on a high note. This required that -- once the game was completed -- the two kids back in the 1960s had to remember what had happened in order to hook up, save the town, save their future (1990s) friend's parents from dying in a car crash. It was not necessary for the 1990s kids to remember anything, and would have undermined the effort at humor, by having the adults scream "No!" at the prospect of the family dying in the car crash...
browned79

Postby Slughorn42 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:25 pm

I think most followers of the Nostalgia Critic would agree that this is a better film than the vast majority of what he's reviewed. Still, I think there's just enough material to make for an entertaining review. Plus he'll have to review it eventually given the number of people requesting it.
Slughorn42

Postby TheListenerCanon » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:28 pm

Slughorn42 wrote:I think most followers of the Nostalgia Critic would agree that this is a better film than the vast majority of what he's reviewed.

And I'll agree to that.
Still, I think there's just enough material to make for an entertaining review. Plus he'll have to review it eventually given the number of people requesting it.

I agree there's probably enough material to make fun of it (even though I love it), but just because a number of people are requesting it doesn't mean he HAS to review it.

Examples: Rob said they don't want to do an Old vs New on the Spectacular Spider-Man and the 90s one since they haven't seen neither show. Rob also rejected the Phantom Menace, the Brave Little Toaster, and Toy Story, all highly requested. Also, Doug said at a convention that he doesn't want to do Cats Don't Dance (which has like over 20 pages) because, while he thinks it's flawed, he likes the animation and maybe the film overall. How about Dune or the Fifth Element? They were both highly requested, but Lindsay reviewed them before Doug did and Doug doesn't do films Lindsay does.

So my point, just because a film is highly requested DOES NOT MEAN Doug will review them. By that logic, he should've done the Brave Little Toaster or the Phantom Menace.
TheListenerCanon

Postby Slughorn42 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:00 pm

While I agree that he doesn't have to review films based on the number of requests, I think a lot of Nostalgia Critic fans might feel somewhat cheated if they don't get Doug's take on Jumanji. If he doesn't do a review, he could at least explain how he feels about it in a Facebook post or something.
Slughorn42

Postby browned79 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:34 am

In light of recent events in Japan, why not turn this into a charitable fundraiser? People who want the NC to review this film, can offer to make a generous donation to the Red Cross.
browned79

PreviousNext

Return to Future NC Requests