Welcome Anonymous, It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:53 pm
Press Start DVD

Jumanji

Got a request for the Nostalgia Critic? Post it here!
Forum rules
If a movie or show has a topic already.. DO NOT make a new topic, just post in the one that is already established! Do not make more than one request in a post!

Jumanji

Postby FoxtrotTango » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:47 pm

I saw this movie on ABC Family today and it brought me back into my childhood. I loved this movie, every 104 fast-paced minutes of it. Sure, the special effects in those days weren't really as sophisticated as they are now, nor were there many things explained about the plot (how in the heck did a game of Jumanji end up at a construction site, for instance), but the story was the real hook. A game that brings the jungle to life as you play, so every roll of the dice was a terrifying prospect. However, once the game was started, it had to be finished, lest the fascinating consequences of the game continue to terrorize.

An adventurous success that stays heartwarming over the years, there are many interesting things about this film. It's wild to see Kirsten Dunst that young and think of her now all grown up in the Spider-Man series. I also thought it was interesting how the man who played Samuel Parrish also acted the role of Van Pelt. Overall, however, the backstory was rather deep for a children's movie. I remember the scene where the homeless man told Alan about what happened to his father after he disappeared.

Anyhow, I believe that since Jumanji was made in 1995, it should be good enough for the Nostalgia Critic to review. It's also ripe for many jungle-related skits and schemes. It's not the traditional type that the Critic would rip apart, but instead it should be seen for both its comedic charm and the effort put into it. I don't know how much budget this film had, but they certainly made the best with what they could bring to the table. I've never seen more realistic CGI monkeys anywhere.

So what do you think? Should the Nostalgia Critic review Jumanji?
When I feel blue, I listen to Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds music to perk myself up. Nothing like the end of humanity itself to raise the spirits, eh?
FoxtrotTango

Re: Jumanji

Postby TheDramaticMonarch » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:56 pm

Hmm, I never would have thought of suggesting "Jumanji" mainly because it doesn't instantly spring to mind as a "bad childhood movie".

But damn if it isn't nostalgic as hell.

I'd be down for this moving appearing in some form of a Nostalgia Critic episode.
"If Justin Timberlake is bringing sexy back, then Gene Kelly brought it in the first place."
TheDramaticMonarch

Location: My platinum, jewel encrusted throne...by that I mean my office chair

Postby Srgeman » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:35 pm

I loved this movie, it's nostalgic as hell. I hope it does get reviewed.
Srgeman

Postby Arcade Braeden » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:27 pm

It is pretty good come to think of it. I especially love the climax (the showdown with the hunter in the house). Just the fact they used the same character for Alan's dad, as well as the hunter was genius. It was a crazy movie for kids, yet still had a lot of thought in it.

I got the board game Jumanji for my 5th birthday I believe. Being a dumb 6 year old, I thought it was like the real one, and ran in the house crying. I did play it years later, and it wasn't any fun, and is set up A LOT differently the game in the movie (other than the fact the game coming to life). As a joke, my mom got me the DVD for my birthday 10 years after I ran in the house crying.

lol
-Arcade Braeden
Host of Review:Impossible
www.youtube.com/ipenproductions
Arcade Braeden

Postby Mioko » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:41 pm

I vote for this one too! Anything for the monkeys!
Mioko

Postby Redbob86 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:16 pm

The only complaint I have is that the monkies were WAY too cartoony, even for when I was 9 years old.
Not everyone who plays videogames has acne, just the ones who are good at them.
Redbob86

Postby dirk123 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:42 am

He should do a double review. First let him review the movie and then the Jumanji cartoon :)
You are the Doctor!! You are an enemy of the Daleks!!! You must be destroyed!!!! Exterminate!! Exterminate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
dirk123

Postby FoxtrotTango » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:18 pm

dirk123 wrote:He should do a double review. First let him review the movie and then the Jumanji cartoon :)

...There was a cartoon? ;w;
When I feel blue, I listen to Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds music to perk myself up. Nothing like the end of humanity itself to raise the spirits, eh?
FoxtrotTango

Postby dirk123 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:32 pm

FoxtrotTango wrote:
dirk123 wrote:He should do a double review. First let him review the movie and then the Jumanji cartoon :)

...There was a cartoon? ;w;

Yes, there was a cartoon.

Each turn the player was given a "game clue" and then sucked into the jungle until they solved their clue, and Robin Williams' character, Alan, was stuck in Jumanji because he had never seen his clue, which was mostly the driving force behind the series as he, with the help of Peter and Judy, tried to find various way to get himself out of the game. Also, Peter would sometimes be transformed into various animals.

Jumanji ran for three seasons from 1996-1999. In 1996, it was carried by the UPN network, but later seasons were syndicated by BKN. The series was also shown by CITV in the United Kingdom and on Russian RTR channel. Jumanji was produced by Adelaide Productions, with character designs by Everett Peck. Episodes of the show are available on iTunes and Hulu.
You are the Doctor!! You are an enemy of the Daleks!!! You must be destroyed!!!! Exterminate!! Exterminate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
dirk123

Postby glych » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:51 pm

I liked the cartoon.

:oops:

And the movie...

:geek:

I'm such a nerd...

-glych
---
Why, yes! I do have a Bachelor's Degree in Comic Book Art. How did you know?
glych

Postby New Babylon » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:04 pm

I liked the cartoonm too.Because the only antagonist in the movie was a british colonial era hunter,while not bad,it wasnt anything overly exciting-the mad doctor person they aded in the series,even if the second cousin twice removed of all godawfull clichés,was stil a nice touch.

The movie isnt bad,but now that I look upon it,just like with Hook,Robin Williams is just ouf of place.In Hook it was even worse,because his image just isnt an asociation with Peter Pan.

Over all,Robin Williams did well to stay off the action character genre.Which reminds me- that movie where he dresses up as a woman to act as a sitter to spend time with his children after divorce.What is that called,anyone know?
New Babylon

Postby dirk123 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:12 pm

New Babylon wrote:Which reminds me- that movie where he dresses up as a woman to act as a sitter to spend time with his children after divorce.What is that called,anyone know?

Ms Doubtfire

If I remember correctly.
dirk123

Postby ZetzDarke » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:27 pm

This is another film I would love to see him review. I've been watching this movie for a long time and it certainly brings me back. I remember reading, or being read the book in the 2nd grade too. OO Now that was a long time ago.
ZetzDarke

Postby Maverick Radical » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:11 pm

I was madly in love with Jumanji as a kid. For some reason the much more recent Zathura never reached the same level of awesomeness. I'd love to see a positive review of it, no matter how many times he does hate reviews of other, bad, movies. I guess I've always secretly wanted a jungle in my house, 'cause when I first saw it, the moment that really got me excited was when they entered the house again and saw the walls covered in plant-life... :D Must've been a lot of fun to film, too.
Self-proclaimed obscure media expert.
Maverick Radical

Postby Bill_M » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:38 pm

"In the jungle you must wait, til someone rolls a 5 or 8"

Great performance by Robin Williams and David Allen Greer(he played the cop that was once a shoemaker).

One thing that bothered me about the movie was that people talked about the house being haunted in that the little boy was chopped to pieces and hid in the walls. Why the hell was that said in a PG movie!?
Bill_M

Postby Maverick Radical » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:46 pm

Bill_M wrote:One thing that bothered me about the movie was that people talked about the house being haunted in that the little boy was chopped to pieces and hid in the walls. Why the hell was that said in a PG movie!?

Ha! I remember that! And feeling incredibly amused and scared at the same time when I saw it as a kid, lol. God I wish I had the movie with me now...
Maverick Radical

Postby Eshbaal » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:50 pm

Ah, JUmanji. What a wonderful piece of childhood. I still love this movie to this day, for nothing more than sheer entertainment value It's a damn good adventure film.

Also, the cartoon was meh. Wasn't there a character who was this "salesman who had ANYTHING"?
Visit my Review show Fiction Addiction!
https://www.youtube.com/user/fictionaddictionshow/
Eshbaal

Postby dakostro » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:34 pm

Here's a thought: If NC would ever review Jumani, why not make it a double review where he does both Jumanji and Zathura, since they're pretty much the same movies with different themes? I know Zathura isn't that old, but the fact that Doug is gonna review TMNT is proof that he makes an occasional exception, right?
dakostro

Postby Maverick Radical » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:36 pm

dakostro wrote:Here's a thought: If NC would ever review Jumani, why not make it a double review where he does both Jumanji and Zathura, since they're pretty much the same movies with different themes? I know Zathura isn't that old, but the fact that Doug is gonna review TMNT is proof that he makes an occasional exception, right?

Zathura the movie was a load of space crap. He could make a double review, though Zathura isn't exactly a sequel or a direct revamp of Jumanji. Aside from the story pattern, and the board game theme, they're sort of unrelated. It seems the rule to the exception is that it must be a sequel or a direct revamp of an 80's-90's film or television show. So, I wouldn't think he'd include Zathura.
Maverick Radical

Postby FoxtrotTango » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:27 pm

Maverick Radical wrote:
dakostro wrote:Here's a thought: If NC would ever review Jumani, why not make it a double review where he does both Jumanji and Zathura, since they're pretty much the same movies with different themes? I know Zathura isn't that old, but the fact that Doug is gonna review TMNT is proof that he makes an occasional exception, right?

Zathura the movie was a load of space crap. He could make a double review, though Zathura isn't exactly a sequel or a direct revamp of Jumanji. Aside from the story pattern, and the board game theme, they're sort of unrelated. It seems the rule to the exception is that it must be a sequel or a direct revamp of an 80's-90's film or television show. So, I wouldn't think he'd include Zathura.

What was so bad about Zathura? I actually thought it was a rather imaginative Jumanji for the new generation. It had its own personal backstories and deep regrets which were rectified by their experience in the game, and I actually thought that the twist with the astronaut and his brother was rather dark and sophisticated in retrospect. It wasn't going to beat Jumanji, but it still made a pretty good effort in my eyes. I felt rather satisfied with its performance overall.

And the little brother in the Zathura movie? I think he did pretty good, which is a nice respite from all of the Macaulay Culkins and Jake Lloyds we've been getting recently. Bonus points for that.
FoxtrotTango

Next

Return to Future NC Requests