Welcome Anonymous, It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:32 pm
Press Start DVD

Beware the Batman (also "Super Best Friends Forever")

Tune in here to discuss what's on the box.

Moderator: DodgerOfZion

Beware the Batman (also "Super Best Friends Forever")

Postby VGPlayer202 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:22 pm

New CGI Batman TV series coming 2013 called "Beware the Batman":

http://blog.newsarama.com/2011/10/04/an ... -for-2013/

But here's something that caught my interest:

World’s Finest fills in with some more details on Cartoon Network’s DC-related offerings, saying that the “DC Nation” block is scheduled to debut in spring 2012, with a Doom Patrol series in development, along with My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic (which has developed a surprisingly strong online following among male “bronies” 18-35 ) showrunner Lauren Faust working on a series of shorts starring Wonder Girl, Supergirl and Batgirl titled “Super Best Friends Forever.

Remember when we all heard when Lauren Faust said she walked off My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic for "personal reasons"? I guess this might be the reason. Lauren Faust has made quite an effort to make shows starring an entirely female cast.

Here's an image from the show, supposedly...

Well... I'll keep an eye out for it.
VGPlayer202

Re: Beware the Batman (also "Super Best Friends Forever")

Postby Dancingmadrb3 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:40 pm

its too bad Lauren has to do this stuff to work around the matter of her series Galaxy Girls, but if there is a way to convince someone to pick up the idea well Super best friends and FIM might be the only gateways in.

Looks like her series will be the best, this new CGI batman looks awful.
Ugh why cant batman ever have a decent series again... stupid loony toon network
Dancingmadrb3

Location: My tower, zapping people with my light of judgement.

Postby jedidarrick » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:19 pm

This is the REAL image for Beware the Batman.
Nothing will ever top this though:
The review must go on!
jedidarrick

Postby Pinky » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:55 pm

jedidarrick wrote:This is the REAL image for Beware the Batman.
Nothing will ever top this though:

Mutant animal pig things
Alfred with a gun
Herm Robin

Seriously though this should be interesting, I'm always a supporter of another animated batman series especially if it tries to be original.
I just hope we get some real info soon.
Pinky

Postby VGPlayer202 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:27 pm

Pinky wrote:Mutant animal pig things
Alfred with a gun
Herm Robin

Pretty sure that's just a mask.
Alfred used guns in the comics. In fact, he was a former British intelligence officer.
It looked more like Nightwing to me.
VGPlayer202

Postby ShadowWing Tronix » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:21 pm

Not Robin or Nightwing. I heard it was Katana, which seems an odd choice.
ShadowWing Tronix

Postby Tashofthefuture » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:57 pm

The two main reasons i think Beware The Batman, is going to suck is

A.The Art Style really looks cheap and lazy

B.It's Going to be in CG (And since it's by the people who made the Green Lantern cartoon, i can already tell it's gonna be awful CG) say what you will about "The Batman", but at least that show had actual animation behind it.
Last edited by Tashofthefuture on Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tashofthefuture

Postby EvilMoose » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:26 pm

yipee, another batman cartoon. :| Really, haven't there been enough for the past decade?

As for this... thing... called "Super Best Friends Forever." Say what you will about Lauren Faust, but that title robs both her and all three of those characters of all dignity (granted, I don't know anything about this "Wonder Girl," unless she's a younger version of Wonder Woman, but it still makes me cringe). I hate the idea of a show who's very name is catering to the cell-phone-text junkie crowd, and I really hope it's only a working title. The show needs something that would fit the tone of Faust's work but also show a bit more respect for the source material.
EvilMoose, Battle Routine, set! Execute!
EvilMoose

Postby VGPlayer202 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:51 pm

Tashofthefuture wrote:The two main reasons i think Beware The Batman, is

A.The Art Style really looks cheap and lazy

B.It's Going to be in CG (And since it's by the people who made the Green Lantern cartoon, i can already tell it's gonna be awful CG) say what you will about "The Batman", but at least that show had actual animation behind it.

I actually liked The Batman. A pretty sweet series, IMO. The new designs were pretty interesting.

EvilMoose wrote:yipee, another batman cartoon. :| Really, haven't there been enough for the past decade?

As for this... thing... called "Super Best Friends Forever." Say what you will about Lauren Faust, but that title robs both her and all three of those characters of all dignity (granted, I don't know anything about this "Wonder Girl," unless she's a younger version of Wonder Woman, but it still makes me cringe). I hate the idea of a show who's very name is catering to the cell-phone-text junkie crowd, and I really hope it's only a working title. The show needs something that would fit the tone of Faust's work but also show a bit more respect for the source material.

Oh come on! "Friendship is Magic" isn't any better, and the show turned out great regardless!
VGPlayer202

Postby EvilMoose » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:36 pm

VGPlayer202 wrote:
EvilMoose wrote:As for this... thing... called "Super Best Friends Forever." Say what you will about Lauren Faust, but that title robs both her and all three of those characters of all dignity (granted, I don't know anything about this "Wonder Girl," unless she's a younger version of Wonder Woman, but it still makes me cringe). I hate the idea of a show who's very name is catering to the cell-phone-text junkie crowd, and I really hope it's only a working title. The show needs something that would fit the tone of Faust's work but also show a bit more respect for the source material.

Oh come on! "Friendship is Magic" isn't any better, and the show turned out great regardless!

I'm not saying the show itself will be bad, I'm just saying the title is awful. Faust has a great track record. I'll even admit that a couple months back, I caved into watching Friendship is Magic (a title that doesn't sound anywhere near as bad) and am now a casual fan waiting for the rest of S2. But while "Super Best Friends Forever" will in all likelihood be a good show, the title of this project WREAKS. It needs to be thrown out the window in favor of something much less degrading to the show itself.
EvilMoose, Battle Routine, set! Execute!
EvilMoose

Postby ezim93 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:58 pm

Sorry if it sounds like venting but I have to get this off my chest. Why is it that we always say something is going to suck from just ONE picture. We know only a few things about this show yet one still picture that may or may not be representative of the final product makes us immediately hate it. WHY? What is the point of hating something before we even know what that something is? It's ridiculous. We went through with this during Batman The Brave and the Bold and you know what? That show wasn't half bad. Sorry about that, now I'm going to move on to one of the more controversial aspects of this show. Alfreds Guns. This is another reason think this show is going to suck, because Alfred is "apparently" going to go John Woo on Batmans Rogue gallery. Allow me to dismiss this in the following reasonings.
1. It's not shown what kind of ammo he's using. For all we know there could be tranquilizers or rubber bullets in there.
2. Do you really think batman would allow Alfred to kill criminals in cold blood.
3. As I said above this probably an image that may or may not be representative of the final product.

As for the animation style I'd actually like to see some actual animation. Who knows maybe the proportions translate better when it's actually in motion? Finally there's Batmans new sidekick Katanna. I have no problem with this. It's different and interesting. All I'm saying is aren't we being a little fast to judge this. I'm on the fence with this one. I have no idea whether or not it will suck. We just have to wait.

edit: And another thing. This is a kids show. Do you really think that they'll show Alfred shooting someone. Hell they didn't even show the real version of Return of the Joker so I doubt it
Last edited by ezim93 on Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ezim93

Postby Fairfield » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:07 am

VGPlayer202 wrote:Alfred used guns in the comics.

All I can recall is him using a shotgun to guard the house at times. I've never read or seen him actually casting around bolts of led in the field. He's a Mission Control kind of guy.

I'll admit, I do like Katana; I wasn't around in the 1970s but I've grown fond of her during the Outsiders' recent revival, both in the actual books and in onscreen adaptations. I'm fine with her getting more attention.

Still, Batman fighting alongside a character who used to be a fussy butler and a character hardly related to him? It's just hard to swallow, and this is the show they said would take Batman back in a serious direction after the end of The Brave and the Bold. It almost feels like an episode of that show, except the weird guest heros are now permanent. That is very strange.
I'm fucking the DVD! I'm fucking the DVD!
Fairfield

Postby jedidarrick » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:44 pm

I think that Green Lantern: The Animated Series could be the best idea out of all of these. Why? Because BRUCE TIMM is behind it!
The review must go on!
jedidarrick

Postby dirk123 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:18 am

I think truer words can't be said about Brave and the Bold

At least it had some good episodes. Let's hope this CG Batman doesn't let us down.
You are the Doctor!! You are an enemy of the Daleks!!! You must be destroyed!!!! Exterminate!! Exterminate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
dirk123

Postby Antiyonder » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:51 pm

ezim93 wrote:We went through with this during Batman The Brave and the Bold and you know what? That show wasn't half bad.

Goes further back than that in general. Teen Titans and The Spectacular Spider-Man.

Sorry about that, now I'm going to move on to one of the more controversial aspects of this show. Alfreds Guns. This is another reason think this show is going to suck, because Alfred is "apparently" going to go John Woo on Batmans Rogue gallery. Allow me to dismiss this in the following reasonings.
1. It's not shown what kind of ammo he's using. For all we know there could be tranquilizers or rubber bullets in there.
2. Do you really think batman would allow Alfred to kill criminals in cold blood.
3. As I said above this probably an image that may or may not be representative of the final product.

In JLU, he didn't show any objections to Vigilante. I'm guessing he doesn't mind allies (non-sidekick ones anyway) using them.
Antiyonder

Postby Fairfield » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:06 am

I could actually go for a version fo Batman that doesn't have a stigma against killing. Still, I think Alfred assuming an action role is just weird.

Also, I hope the final show doesn't look like that. Batman and Alfred are way too angular, and Katana's head looks like the sort you'd find on a fat person.
Fairfield

Postby nerdyguy » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:42 am

I'm going to have to disagree with the majority of the people here and admit I'm excited for the new Batman show for several reasons:
1. Robin being replaced with a Samurai.
2. Badass Alfred.
3. Awesomely campy title.
4. It's going to use villains that weren't used in other Batman cartoons.

As for Super Best Friends Forever, I think it's great that Lauren Faust is doing another show, but damn she sucks at picking titles. First she gives the lamest, girliest franchise ever the lamest, girliest subtitle, and now this? Come on, they're superheroes, not annoying preteen girls. Why does Lauren Faust want her fans to be embarrassed to say they like her shows? Anyway, Lauren Faust is a talented writer and Super Best Friends Forever will probably be an awesome show too.
"It's the people without brains who do the most talking"
-Scarecrow
nerdyguy

Postby Fairfield » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:41 am

"Friendship is Magic" only sounds lame and girly because that sort of thing has traditionally been the realm of media that pandered to children. Objectively-speaking, though, there's nothing wrong with teaching kids how to be a friend; it just has been done wrong by things like The Get-Along Gang. What was Faust supposed to pick for the title of what she was doing, My Little Pony: The Revenge of the Bloodsucking Hyenas from Mars?

As to "Super Best Friends Forever," I don't see that as pre-teen; just modern. It definitely sounds a little bit preppy, but you miss the point of what Lauren is trying to do; rather than making her heroes nothing but exemplars towering over petty human tendencies, she wants to say that people can be preppy but still be heroes. That's more interesting to me, when characters have flaws. It's what I loved about W.I.T.C.H., and why I keep bringing that up when we talk about My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. I don't want to watch Mary-Sues; I want heroes that are human in a world where there's no such thing as all-too-human, because humanity is what goodness is measured on. They work for the good of a world full of inperfection because they're imperfect themselves. So I'm very glad Faust is doing this show, and when you consider the way she writes characters, the name sounds much better--or if it sounds dumb, at least you know why.
Fairfield

Postby VGPlayer202 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:27 pm

So, you know that picture with Batman that looks like Schnitzel in a Batman costume? Well, apparently, it's going to be one of the many DC-related shorts that are coming to Cartoon Network's DC Nation:

VGPlayer202

Postby dirk123 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:14 pm

Having seen the 2-episode premiere of the Green Lantern computer animated show, which in my opinion was interesting and good.
Already was used to the similar style used in Transformers Prime.
Sure it isn't great, but as long as the story/stories is/are good, I will have no complaint.
You are the Doctor!! You are an enemy of the Daleks!!! You must be destroyed!!!! Exterminate!! Exterminate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
dirk123

Next

Return to TV