Welcome Anonymous, It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:42 pm
Press Start DVD

James Cameron: "Guys, You WILL Lust after Neytiri"

Discuss everything from the latest blockbusters to the silent classics here.

James Cameron: "Guys, You WILL Lust after Neytiri"

Postby CapitalRadioTwo » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:45 pm

Yes, the blue alien female lead in Avatar.

From his new interview in Playboy Magazine:

PLAYBOY: So Saldana’s character was specifically designed to appeal to guys’ ids?

CAMERON: And they won’t be able to control themselves. They will have actual lust for a character that consists of pixels of ones and zeros. You’re never going to meet her, and if you did, she’s 10 feet tall and would snap your spine. The point is, 99.9 percent of people aren’t going to meet any of the movie actresses they fall in love with, so it doesn’t matter if it’s Neytiri or Michelle Pfeiffer.

PLAYBOY: We seem to need fantasy icons like Lara Croft and Wonder Woman, despite knowing they mess with our heads.

CAMERON: Most of men’s problems with women probably have to do with realizing women are real and most of them don’t look or act like Vampirella. A big recalibration happens when we’re forced to deal with real women, and there’s a certain geek population that would much rather deal with fantasy women than real women. Let’s face it: Real women are complicated. You can try your whole life and not understand them.

PLAYBOY: How much did you get into calibrating your movie heroine’s hotness?

CAMERON: Right from the beginning I said, “She’s got to have tits,” even though that makes no sense because her race, the Na’vi, aren’t placental mammals. I designed her costumes based on a taparrabo, a loincloth thing worn by Mayan Indians. We go to another planet in this movie, so it would be stupid if she ran around in a Brazilian thong or a fur bikini like Raquel Welch in One Million Years B.C.

PLAYBOY: Are her breasts on view?

CAMERON: I came up with this free—floating, lion’s-mane—like array of feathers, and we strategically lit and angled shots to not draw attention to her breasts, but they’re right there. The animation uses a physics-based sim that takes into consideration gravity, air movement and the momentum of her hair, her top. We had a shot in which Neytiri falls into a specific position, and because she is lit by orange firelight, it lights up the nipples. That was good, except we’re going for a PG-13 rating, so we wound up having to fix it. We’ll have to put it on the special edition DVD; it will be a collector’s item. A Neytiri Playboy Centerfold would have been a good idea.

Well TGWTGers, is she hot?

I have to admit, I think she's beautiful, but I doubt I could really fall in love with her like I have with some characters, even as far as this year is concerned, because they are played by, ya know, actual actresses (and not just voice talent). I will gladly take that back if she manages to level with Penelope Stamp, Shoshanna Dreyfuss, and Summer Finn though.
CapitalRadioTwo

Re: James Cameron: "Guys, You WILL Lust after Neytiri"

Postby Movie-Brat » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:57 pm

Really? He sounded like Frank Miller for a moment.
Last Movies I've Watched: Tampopo, Mothra vs. Godzilla, Made in Dagenham, Oculus, Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Movie-Brat

Postby CapitalRadioTwo » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:00 pm

Yeah, it sounds weird coming out of James Cameron, but she is really pretty. I will say this, a 10 ft tall, anatomically correct warrior woman, blue as she might be, is more conventionally attractive than say, Princess Sally from Sonic the Hedgehog, and that never stopped anyone with her.
CapitalRadioTwo

Postby Movie-Brat » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:11 pm

Still, I wonder if this means James Cameron will become another Frank Miller.
Last Movies I've Watched: Tampopo, Mothra vs. Godzilla, Made in Dagenham, Oculus, Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Movie-Brat

Postby Instrument » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:28 pm

Most of men’s problems with women probably have to do with realizing women are real and most of them don’t look or act like Vampirella.
What? That's gotta be one of the craziest claims I've ever heard. I'm sure it's true for some, but most of men's problems with women?

Um, I don't care for Neytiri(her blueness, animal features, and her nose bug me) and I don't like it when creators make female characters with fanservice in mind. Really is annoying and happens way too much. Not saying she's destined to suck as a character because of this, characters with fanservice can still be good characters, but it still bugs me.

I'm sure there will be guys who lust over her, but I don't think it will be as much as James Cameron seems to be implying.
Instrument

Postby Red Leaves » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:25 am

I guess she is cute in a vaguely-elfish sort of way. I can see why people might be attracted to her. But she's certainly no Rachel McAdams, and I have never been one to actually lust after CGI.
This above all: to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man.
Farewell, my blessing season this in thee!
Red Leaves

Postby hnming » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:39 am

Cameron is starting to sound infantile, crude, moronic and lacking in class. There are lots of other filmmakers who shot and lensed some of the most beautiful women that ever lived that don't sound like that in any of their interviews. My schadenfreude at wanting this movie to flop just got stronger.

Red Leaves wrote:I guess she is cute in a vaguely-elfish sort of way. I can see the attraction. But she's certainly no Rachel McAdams, and I have never been one to actually lust after CGI.
Round thee Winter's strife and storm be ceased/Thy love pusheth gently, till Spring be imposed.

Last five seen: No Mercy, Kiki's Delivery Service, The Congress Dances, The Best Offer, Noah
Click my sig.
hnming

Postby ZGDK » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:03 am

I guess she's cute in a strange sort of way, but she isn't real... and I just... I don't know, but this is Jim Cameron who's talking here, is anyone really surprised at what he's saying? This is a man who has been married five times, and none of those marriages have worked out.
"If it can be written, or thought, it can be filmed."

-Stanley Kubrick
ZGDK

Postby hnming » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:26 am

Not everyone is the marrying kind (in fact polygamy and nuclear families have been shown only to be far from the norm in history), and if he just didn't talk about it in a way that made him come off completely immature, I would have been happy. But he didn't.

ZGDK wrote:I guess she's cute in a strange sort of way, but she isn't real... and I just... I don't know, but this is Jim Cameron who's talking here, is anyone really surprised at what he's saying? This is a man who has been married five times, and none of those marriages have worked out.
Round thee Winter's strife and storm be ceased/Thy love pusheth gently, till Spring be imposed.

Last five seen: No Mercy, Kiki's Delivery Service, The Congress Dances, The Best Offer, Noah
Click my sig.
hnming

Postby DesertEagle » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:50 am

hnming wrote:(in fact polygamy and nuclear families have been shown only to be far from the norm in history)
What? This is a very thing to add in your response to ZGDK's post and makes no sense. What does polygamy have to do with anything and a 'nuclear family' is a loosely defined term which may or may not describe a family with a married couple. But whatever we are getting off-topic.

Oh but one more thing. The man did marry five times - so how is he not marrying type? :P

I think Carmen here is selling a product. Guys like to see sexy girls on screen and alien babes have filled that role in the past (Star Trek anyone?). Either he genuienly wants guys to go ga-ga over Neytiri or he is joking around with the concept of an alien babe or both. Also keep in mind this interview was done for playboy magazine.

As for my thoughts on her? She's blue and ten feet tall and has a tail. Pretty but not something I see myself drooling over.
DesertEagle

Postby Herr Wozzeck » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:39 pm

She looks pretty cute... But...

I think we should all calm down. This is a CGI effect we're talking about here, not Megan Fox. (I know, I know, but seriously, this is beginning to sound like a back and forth similar to what can be read about Megan Fox on these forums.) I only hope frat boys everywhere understand that before they go to distant planets trying to find women to rape.
So, yeah, life is pretty crazy.

Avatar is of Edgard Varèse, one of the great masters of 20th Century music and one of the greatest influences on Frank Zappa.
Herr Wozzeck

Postby PenguinKing » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:03 pm

I think James Cameron has overestimated the amout of guys who will be attracted to a creepy looking blue alien thing (if he wanted hot blue alien thing he should have nicked the Asari from Mass effect)
Energon axes are the right of all sentient beings
PenguinKing

Postby laurelin_kit » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:27 pm

Right from the beginning I said, “She’s got to have tits,”

We had a shot in which Neytiri falls into a specific position, and because she is lit by orange firelight, it lights up the nipples.

A big recalibration happens when we’re forced to deal with real women

Oh goddammit, Cameron. This insults everyone's intelligence. Think, man! Think!
Ooh, baby, you are so talented. And they are so dumb.
laurelin_kit

Postby Jonny78 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:41 pm

Not interested.
There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences.--P. J. O'Rourke
Jonny78

Postby ZGDK » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:27 pm

DesertEagle wrote:
hnming wrote:(in fact polygamy and nuclear families have been shown only to be far from the norm in history)
What? This is a very thing to add in your response to ZGDK's post and makes no sense. What does polygamy have to do with anything and a 'nuclear family' is a loosely defined term which may or may not describe a family with a married couple. But whatever we are getting off-topic.

Oh but one more thing. The man did marry five times - so how is he not marrying type? :P

I think Carmen here is selling a product. Guys like to see sexy girls on screen and alien babes have filled that role in the past (Star Trek anyone?). Either he genuienly wants guys to go ga-ga over Neytiri or he is joking around with the concept of an alien babe or both. Also keep in mind this interview was done for playboy magazine.

As for my thoughts on her? She's blue and ten feet tall and has a tail. Pretty but not something I see myself drooling over.

I should clarify a bit, perhaps the reason he's making these comments is because of the failure he's encountered throughout his relationships.
"If it can be written, or thought, it can be filmed."

-Stanley Kubrick
ZGDK

Postby laurelin_kit » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:35 pm

Isn't it kind of a boner-killer to be like, FORCED to be attracted to a character/person? There's an element of "trying too hard" that's just unappealing. See: Megan Fox. It's this kind of forced sexy. I'm trying to think of a male example but all I can come up with is Patrick Dempsey. Who does not appeal to me.
laurelin_kit

Postby Herr Wozzeck » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:07 pm

laurelin_kit wrote:I'm trying to think of a male example but all I can come up with is Patrick Dempsey. Who does not appeal to me.

*snaps fingers*

Robert Pattison. I'm surprised he didn't come to mind...
So, yeah, life is pretty crazy.

Avatar is of Edgard Varèse, one of the great masters of 20th Century music and one of the greatest influences on Frank Zappa.
Herr Wozzeck

Postby Instrument » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:16 pm

laurelin_kit wrote:Isn't it kind of a boner-killer to be like, FORCED to be attracted to a character/person? There's an element of "trying too hard" that's just unappealing. See: Megan Fox. It's this kind of forced sexy. I'm trying to think of a male example but all I can come up with is Patrick Dempsey. Who does not appeal to me.
Maybe to you it is a boner-killer, but there are quite a few people who fall for the intention. I can't count the number of times guys have told me Megan Fox is hot in both Transformers.
Can it be unattractive to do this? Maybe, especially if done way too far(Like some of Rob Leifeld's females), but for the most part I'd say no.
Instrument

Postby laurelin_kit » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:30 pm

Conversely, a lot of my male friends don't find her attractive at all. So I guess what turns some people off works for others.
laurelin_kit

Postby Rollo_T » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:47 am

Blue chicks? Done before! I'll take my Asari and Twi'lek over this freakshow any day!

I kid (maybe), but this Neytiri chick doesn't just ooze sexual magnatism. Maybe I need to see the movie. I mean that figuratively--Avatar looks awful. I just find it funny that James Cameron is bragging about the breast physics as though he had just finished making Dead or Alive: Extreme Beach Volleyball 3.
I never did think of myself as handsome--terribly attractive, yes, but not handsome. -- Liam Neeson
Rollo_T

Next

Return to Films