Welcome Anonymous, It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:14 am
Press Start DVD
     

Animated Heroine Reviews: My Favorite Animated Films 5-1

Think you're next Nostalgia Critic? Post your video here and find out!

Re: Animated Heroine Reviews: Tangled vs Princess and the Fr

Postby Movie-Brat » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:40 pm

ZetzDarke wrote:Complicated is perhaps the wrong word. It feels like the film wonders around, kind of writes itself into a lot of corners and then gets out of them with questionable plot devices. I do still like it a lot though. Honestly I probably like it more then Tangled, but I just can't say it's a stronger movie. I rather like the New Orleans song at the beginning too, but yeah Friends on the Other Side and Almost There are the strongest. It's a shame because I love jazz. It's the perfect genre of music for this movie, but I just cannot get into the last three songs.


Too true. Too bad because I really liked those two songs and I wished Randy Newman upped the ante after those two favorites.
Last Movies I've Watched: Mothra vs. Godzilla, Made in Dagenham, Oculus, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Muppets Most Wanted
User avatar
Movie-Brat
 
Posts: 40958
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:18 am

Re: Animated Heroine Reviews: Tangled vs Princess and the Fr

Postby alexthed » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:54 pm

It's a tough call for me too. I loved both movies and agreed that they had their faults. One thing I didn't like in the Princess and the Frog that you didn't touch on was that I sort of felt the leads got lost in the shuffle of other characters - yeah, I liked the other characters, but I think I read somewhere that the leads have roughly 45 minutes of screen time. Though you did touch on all the things I disliked about Tangled.
My blip channel: http://blip.tv/alexthed
Answering your movie questions
(Thanks to Sursum Ursa for the Avatar)
My deviantart gallery: http://adecourv.deviantart.com/gallery/
My articles: http://adecourv.hubpages.com/
User avatar
alexthed
 
Posts: 896
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:56 am
Location: Ohio - Yeah, it sucks

Re: Animated Heroine Reviews: Tangled vs Princess and the Fr

Postby The Red Suitcase » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:36 am

Again as always, your content and thoughts are very good.

I agree, it's flawed movies but with good in them, things in them better than so many other movies. It's really a ride of ups and downs.

Now is the time though I feel like giving you a bit of constructive criticsm.

Your sound mixing, you would want to do some-thing about that, your voice-over is way louder than when you are on camera, so either turn down the voice over or turn up your camera footage and you would stand with a much more professional looking item.

I think easily you could cut a bit quicker away from some of your clips and well, cutting more smoothly is all about practise I think.

That's all I got, and well.. after "Wreck it Ralf." they are either doing "snow queen." or "The Elf king." both movies I really badly want to see from Disney, so I am a very hopeful :)
I'm Sofie Liv, also just known as Miss Liv, Host of "Red suitcase adventures." which runs at the great site http://www.Agonybooth.com where I work as a video producer.

Or, you can visit my threat right at this forum! filled with videos and lots of me!
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=34782
User avatar
The Red Suitcase
 
Posts: 778
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:41 am

Re: Animated Heroine Reviews: Tangled vs Princess and the Fr

Postby Ozaline » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:11 pm

Great review and thank you for noticing the problem with Tiana's revelation that she needs family. I agree it wasn't intended as an anti-feminist message, in fact both films try an do a really good job of putting a femist coat of paint onto the traditional princess storyline... but from Mama Ottie's song onwards the idea that she needs Navine is just shoved so hard down our throats that it feels really forced, I understand what they were going for and it's not enough to ruin the movie for me but I think it could have been handled better.

I don't mind that the movie has them running towards different goals, until they finally stumble apon the right solution by accident; the only problem here is I think it ties back to the idea that she need's Naviine... I don't think Mama Ottie ever intended for them to get there by midnight. If it wasn't for how forced the love angle was it would kind of work, as people just trying different solutions, before they find out what can really make them happy.

I'm also kinda glad they killed a sidekick in this movie, it worked for the character.

I also don't have a problem with Shadow Man's scheme... the spirits just can't take souls, there has to be a component of free will in these kind of stories, so Shadow Man made a deal to gain power and in return when he was in a position of influence he'd use that influence to trick people into giving themselves up to the spirits.

I rather like some of the songs in Tangled... Especially Mother Knows Best (which is I think a rather refreshingly different villain song), and I've Got a Dream but it really doesn't work as a musical, I'll agree with that.

The Red Suitcase wrote:That's all I got, and well.. after "Wreck it Ralf." they are either doing "snow queen." or "The Elf king." both movies I really badly want to see from Disney, so I am a very hopeful :)



Oh, I'd love to see Snow Queen, I think that was Anderson's best work... the first six episodes of Sailor Moon: Sailor Stars are loosely based on it too, and that was really fun.
Ozaline
 
Posts: 323
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:19 am
Location: Edmonton AB

Re: Animated Heroine Reviews: Tangled vs Princess and the Fr

Postby mastermind » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:43 pm

I myself didnt see tangled, I should definetely rent it sometime.

Princess and the frog, I gotta say, I got alot out of this movie. Yes i'll agree its far from perfect, its still good, dont get me wrong, but yeah, some of the songs drag, and the story gets overly complicated, but at least I like most of the songs in the movie, some more than others, and with the story, even though we know the outcome it does keep one on their toes.

Its highlights are definetely its characters. I mean dr faciler has truely become one of the greats, and when did this movie come out? Like 3 or 4 years ago? The 2 main leagues I also like, for my own reasons. I will admit, the side characters, while good characters, I feel they dont really do much, but hey thats just me.

Lastly, good luck with we're back a dinosaur story, your gonna need it, especially since the director of that also did mars needs moms, which I am pretty sure is on your docket.
User avatar
mastermind
 
Posts: 276
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: Animated Heroine Reviews: The Lorax

Postby ZetzDarke » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:40 pm

The Red Suitcase wrote:Your sound mixing, you would want to do some-thing about that, your voice-over is way louder than when you are on camera, so either turn down the voice over or turn up your camera footage and you would stand with a much more professional looking item.


Yeah, I noticed that when I watched it again. I'll probably go back and fix the video at some point and I'll try to avoid that in the future.

Ozaline wrote:Great review and thank you for noticing the problem with Tiana's revelation that she needs family. I agree it wasn't intended as an anti-feminist message, in fact both films try an do a really good job of putting a femist coat of paint onto the traditional princess storyline... but from Mama Ottie's song onwards the idea that she needs Navine is just shoved so hard down our throats that it feels really forced, I understand what they were going for and it's not enough to ruin the movie for me but I think it could have been handled better.

I don't mind that the movie has them running towards different goals, until they finally stumble apon the right solution by accident; the only problem here is I think it ties back to the idea that she need's Naviine... I don't think Mama Ottie ever intended for them to get there by midnight. If it wasn't for how forced the love angle was it would kind of work, as people just trying different solutions, before they find out what can really make them happy.

I'm also kinda glad they killed a sidekick in this movie, it worked for the character.

I also don't have a problem with Shadow Man's scheme... the spirits just can't take souls, there has to be a component of free will in these kind of stories, so Shadow Man made a deal to gain power and in return when he was in a position of influence he'd use that influence to trick people into giving themselves up to the spirits.

I rather like some of the songs in Tangled... Especially Mother Knows Best (which is I think a rather refreshingly different villain song), and I've Got a Dream but it really doesn't work as a musical, I'll agree with that.


Yeah, I agree. I think without some of the other problems the whole sidekick and Shadowman thing wouldn't have bothered me much at all. The songs in Tangled are entertaining, I just don't think they're written very well, but I can see how someone would enjoy them, at least they're not dull like some of the songs in Princess and the Frog.

mastermind wrote:Lastly, good luck with we're back a dinosaur story, your gonna need it, especially since the director of that also did mars needs moms, which I am pretty sure is on your docket.


Lol, ohhh dear, that's going to be a fun one. Thanks, I'm sure I'll need the luck.

alexthed wrote:It's a tough call for me too. I loved both movies and agreed that they had their faults. One thing I didn't like in the Princess and the Frog that you didn't touch on was that I sort of felt the leads got lost in the shuffle of other characters - yeah, I liked the other characters, but I think I read somewhere that the leads have roughly 45 minutes of screen time. Though you did touch on all the things I disliked about Tangled.


Yeah, I can see that. At least the characters are likeable but yeah, the focus really should be on the main characters.
User avatar
ZetzDarke
 
Posts: 513
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:16 pm

Re: Animated Heroine Reviews: The Lorax

Postby Ozaline » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:17 pm

I do have another Reel vs Reel suggestion for you.

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
vs
Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman

Both of them deal with a new mysterious vigalante in Gotham whose methods are more extreme then Batman's both mix a major member of Batman's rogue gallery into a story of revenge and love... but which one does it better?
Ozaline
 
Posts: 323
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:19 am
Location: Edmonton AB

Re: Animated Heroine Reviews: The Lorax

Postby Ozaline » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:27 pm

Oooh... Lorax review, no one was surprised.

I had a mother come in and almost buy the DVD of the TV special a week ago but then she changed her mind and decided she'd wait "for the real one" to come out.
Ozaline
 
Posts: 323
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:19 am
Location: Edmonton AB

Re: Animated Heroine Reviews: The Lorax

Postby ZetzDarke » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:38 pm

Ozaline wrote:I do have another Reel vs Reel suggestion for you.

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
vs
Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman

Both of them deal with a new mysterious vigalante in Gotham whose methods are more extreme then Batman's both mix a major member of Batman's rogue gallery into a story of revenge and love... but which one does it better?


I've already had two or three requests for Mask of the Phantasm and Return of the Joker so I'll probably be comparing those two films.

Ozaline wrote:Oooh... Lorax review, no one was surprised.

I had a mother come in and almost buy the DVD of the TV special a week ago but then she changed her mind and decided she'd wait "for the real one" to come out.


Hehe, I've had a few people upset at the review I gave so I guess it already has it's fans. I suppose I was kind of hard on it, but what can I say, while it has some nice things in it, it really screwed up with some of the other things.
User avatar
ZetzDarke
 
Posts: 513
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:16 pm

Re: Animated Heroine Reviews: The Lorax

Postby mastermind » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:30 pm

Another idea.

Perhaps you could either do a reel vs reel comparing the disney jungle book, and the chuck jones version.

I know the chuck jones one is only half an hour long, its just a suggestion.

I also suggest, teen titans trouble in tokyo, and the batman vs dracula. Why? Because these cartoons, the batman, and teen titans, were debuted a year apart from eachother, they lasted the same amount of time, 5 seasons, and they only had one film made, granted they were made for TV films, and I doubt you would touch those, but something to think about. Maybe you could make it a crossover with pan pizza, who is on thatfellowinthecoat.com as well.

I am just full of stupid ideas.
User avatar
mastermind
 
Posts: 276
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: Animated Heroine Reviews: The Lorax

Postby ZetzDarke » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:00 am

mastermind wrote:Another idea.

Perhaps you could either do a reel vs reel comparing the disney jungle book, and the chuck jones version.

I know the chuck jones one is only half an hour long, its just a suggestion.

I also suggest, teen titans trouble in tokyo, and the batman vs dracula. Why? Because these cartoons, the batman, and teen titans, were debuted a year apart from eachother, they lasted the same amount of time, 5 seasons, and they only had one film made, granted they were made for TV films, and I doubt you would touch those, but something to think about. Maybe you could make it a crossover with pan pizza, who is on thatfellowinthecoat.com as well.

I am just full of stupid ideas.


Lol, I'll make note of both suggestions. I actually never really cared too much for Jungle Book, so hell I might like the Chuck Jones version better. It may be unlikely for me to do the teen titans and batman one though just because while I watched all of Teen Titans including the movie I never saw any episodes from the batman cartoon, But we'll see.
User avatar
ZetzDarke
 
Posts: 513
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:16 pm

Re: Animated Heroine Reviews: The Lorax

Postby Ozaline » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:17 am

Just to keep bombarding you there was also a Jungle Book anime which was dubbed into English that I thought was an absolutely brilliant show :D





And dang, I watched Mystery of the Batwoman last night and it's basically the same movie as Phantasm with just one added plot twist... Oh well, maybe I'll tackle it when I get my comic review show up and running if you want to do the other one :D.

edit: I also want to say on your Lorax review, I was really surprised how far you were able to stretch the trailer footage to make it work for a full on review... that's not an easy feat, there really wasn't a moment where I felt the footage didn't work for what you were doing, so kudos.
Ozaline
 
Posts: 323
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:19 am
Location: Edmonton AB

Re: Animated Heroine Reviews: The Lorax

Postby VividGroovy » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:02 am

Hello Animated Heroine,

As a huge animation fan, I'm enjoying your show.

Since you're a fellow “Ratatouille” fan, I wanted to see what you think of my thoughts on Gusteau's Restaurant symbolizing Walt Disney Feature Animation, from the end of my “Hunchback of Notre Dame II” review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sasNTMDR ... Nig#t=781s

(This link should take you directly to the part of the review that deals with “Ratatouille”).

The film that I thought was really trying to evoke “Ratatouille” was “The Tale of Despereaux”, which involves rats and places a lot of importance on the power of soup. (It was an alright film, but nothing close to “Ratatouille” :) ).

I agree with you on the plot of "Princess and the Frog" getting over-complicated. It's funny, too, that the original conflict – her not being able to get her restaurant – is ultimately solved with a threat of animal violence. (It's still a funny scene, though).

Another funny thing about the movie is that the title is only true for the instant between their kiss at the wedding and when they transform - that's the only time they are, literally, a princess and a frog. Actually, they're both frogs and both royalty at that moment...but that's as close as the title comes to describing the movie!

I liked the other songs, though – especially “Evangeline”, which I found very moving.

alexthed wrote:One thing I didn't like in the Princess and the Frog that you didn't touch on was that I sort of felt the leads got lost in the shuffle of other characters - yeah, I liked the other characters, but I think I read somewhere that the leads have roughly 45 minutes of screen time.


I assume it was Lasseter and his Pixar influence – a lightening bug who's in love with a star or a gator who wants to play jazz sound like the kind of characters Pixar would do, so I think they may have interested him more than the main “prince” and “princess” characters.

I also liked the songs in “Tangled”, although they're not as memorable as Menken's work from the Disney Renaissance. “Mother Knows Best” was my favorite from that score, because I'm a fan of Donna Murphy from her Broadway work.

moviebrat wrote: The thing that was noticeable to me was the brushing lyric and I thought to myself, "whoa! Kind of steching it there, eh Menken?" Though you have a point about them being forgettable.


If you mean the "brush and brush and brush and brush my hair" line, I thought Glenn Slater was emphasizing the repetitiveness of her routines, as well as the length of her hair and how much brushing it would need :).
"We complain because we care." - Rob Walker

"Retro Rant Review" - animated film reviews:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 7948CC6ADA
User avatar
VividGroovy
 
Posts: 357
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:04 pm
Location: Grover Beach, CA

Re: Animated Heroine Reviews: The Lorax

Postby The Red Suitcase » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:48 am

huh.. then i'll cross that one off my list of stuff to watch.

This cinema year is stuffed any-way, it seems like an amazing cinema year for ones.

Animations department; Paranorman, Frankenweenie, Pirates, Wreck it Ralph and the big one! Brave! holy..

Not to forget the life action department.. Batman, Avengers, and neither are they the big gun this year, no no... The Hobbit.

That's amazing.
I'm Sofie Liv, also just known as Miss Liv, Host of "Red suitcase adventures." which runs at the great site http://www.Agonybooth.com where I work as a video producer.

Or, you can visit my threat right at this forum! filled with videos and lots of me!
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=34782
User avatar
The Red Suitcase
 
Posts: 778
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:41 am

Re: Animated Heroine Reviews: The Lorax

Postby ZetzDarke » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:01 am

The Red Suitcase wrote:huh.. then i'll cross that one off my list of stuff to watch.

This cinema year is stuffed any-way, it seems like an amazing cinema year for ones.

Animations department; Paranorman, Frankenweenie, Pirates, Wreck it Ralph and the big one! Brave! holy..

Not to forget the life action department.. Batman, Avengers, and neither are they the big gun this year, no no... The Hobbit.

That's amazing.


I'm pretty impressed with the potential from upcoming animated releases. We get Aardman, and a non sequel Pixar movie, and the people who did Coraline and Tim Burton, damn. This could be a very strong year for animated films.

And yeah I cannot freaking wait for Batman, the Avengers and the Hobbit.

VividGroovy wrote:Hello Animated Heroine,

As a huge animation fan, I'm enjoying your show.

Since you're a fellow “Ratatouille” fan, I wanted to see what you think of my thoughts on Gusteau's Restaurant symbolizing Walt Disney Feature Animation, from the end of my “Hunchback of Notre Dame II” review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sasNTMDR ... Nig#t=781s

(This link should take you directly to the part of the review that deals with “Ratatouille”).

The film that I thought was really trying to evoke “Ratatouille” was “The Tale of Despereaux”, which involves rats and places a lot of importance on the power of soup. (It was an alright film, but nothing close to “Ratatouille” :) ).

I agree with you on the plot of "Princess and the Frog" getting over-complicated. It's funny, too, that the original conflict – her not being able to get her restaurant – is ultimately solved with a threat of animal violence. (It's still a funny scene, though).

Another funny thing about the movie is that the title is only true for the instant between their kiss at the wedding and when they transform - that's the only time they are, literally, a princess and a frog. Actually, they're both frogs and both royalty at that moment...but that's as close as the title comes to describing the movie!

I liked the other songs, though – especially “Evangeline”, which I found very moving.


Thanks :) I'll check it out. You know I completely forgot that The Tale of Despereax existed...probably why I didn't use it.

Ozaline wrote:Just to keep bombarding you there was also a Jungle Book anime which was dubbed into English that I thought was an absolutely brilliant show

And dang, I watched Mystery of the Batwoman last night and it's basically the same movie as Phantasm with just one added plot twist... Oh well, maybe I'll tackle it when I get my comic review show up and running if you want to do the other one :D.

edit: I also want to say on your Lorax review, I was really surprised how far you were able to stretch the trailer footage to make it work for a full on review... that's not an easy feat, there really wasn't a moment where I felt the footage didn't work for what you were doing, so kudos.


Lol, I'll check it out. Maybe I can use both given that one is a half an hour long. Thank you :) It's not always easy, but I think I'm getting a little better at it.
User avatar
ZetzDarke
 
Posts: 513
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:16 pm

Re: Animated Heroine Reviews: The Lorax

Postby Movie-Brat » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:21 am

VividGroovy wrote:If you mean the "brush and brush and brush and brush my hair" line, I thought Glenn Slater was emphasizing the repetitiveness of her routines, as well as the length of her hair and how much brushing it would need :).


Well that I get but I didn't get that impression until I listened to it again.
Last Movies I've Watched: Mothra vs. Godzilla, Made in Dagenham, Oculus, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Muppets Most Wanted
User avatar
Movie-Brat
 
Posts: 40958
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:18 am

Re: Animated Heroine Reviews: The Lorax

Postby Movie-Brat » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:30 pm

You know concerning The Lorax, since he didn't like his stories or his characters being exploited; I don't think he'd be fond of The Lorax CGI film.
Last Movies I've Watched: Mothra vs. Godzilla, Made in Dagenham, Oculus, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Muppets Most Wanted
User avatar
Movie-Brat
 
Posts: 40958
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:18 am

Re: Animated Heroine Reviews: The Lorax

Postby ZetzDarke » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:14 pm

Movie-Brat wrote:You know concerning The Lorax, since he didn't like his stories or his characters being exploited; I don't think he'd be fond of The Lorax CGI film.


Oh yeah, I doubt it. He probably would have hated this movie. Not to mention all of the commercialism surrounding it. I mean this is no where near the worst movie I've ever seen. I can tell why some people like it, but it's almost impossible for me to look past the stuff it does wrong.
User avatar
ZetzDarke
 
Posts: 513
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:16 pm

Re: Animated Heroine Reviews: The Lorax

Postby Movie-Brat » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:20 pm

ZetzDarke wrote:Oh yeah, I doubt it. He probably would have hated this movie. Not to mention all of the commercialism surrounding it. I mean this is no where near the worst movie I've ever seen. I can tell why some people like it, but it's almost impossible for me to look past the stuff it does wrong.


Yeah, he'd definitely hate the commercialism. Giesel was the same guy who threw a box of shallowly-made toys of chiaracters into his swimming pool. He was that protective and I got to say, he was a smart man. Not to mention I also doubt he'd like the live action Grinch and Cat in the Hat movies given their sense of humor.
Last Movies I've Watched: Mothra vs. Godzilla, Made in Dagenham, Oculus, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Muppets Most Wanted
User avatar
Movie-Brat
 
Posts: 40958
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:18 am

Re: Animated Heroine Reviews: The Lorax

Postby ZetzDarke » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:50 pm

Such a waste of excellent material. People either need to leave his stories alone, or actually try to recreate something that maintains the feeling of the original story.
User avatar
ZetzDarke
 
Posts: 513
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:16 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Your Video Reviews

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests



Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 759 on Tue May 11, 2010 1:21 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Info

The team
Delete all board cookies
• All times are UTC - 6 hours

Rampage DVD
RocketTheme Joomla Templates